- Create a new, blank workbook.
- Open an existing workbook from your computer.
- Pin a folder to Backstage view.
- Creating a new workbook by using a template.
Workbooks are Excel files. At the time of starting a project you need to create a new workbook. You can do this by three ways… using blank workbook or using template (already designed) or by existing workbook.
How to create a blank workbook (new):
- Firstly, By Click on File tab you will get Backstage view.
- Secondly, by Selecting New and then click onBlank workbook.
- You will get a new blank workbook.
How to open an existing/recent workbook:
Remember, you are opening exiting workbook which are saved previously.
- FromBackstage view you will see the Open and click on it.
2.Secondly, click on Computer icon and then click on Browse icon.
- At last you will find the belowOpendialog box and click on open by selecting your chosen workbook.
Remember: To open recently saved Workbooks then brose on Recent Workbooks.
How to pin a workbook:
If you pin any workbook to Backstage, you can use it again which is help for quick access.
- Click on Open from Backstage view and you see the recent workbooks.
- After then click onpushpin icon (a pushpin icon) by hovering the mouse over the workbook which one you want to pin.
- Same way you can unpin a workbook just clicking the pushpin icon.
Template means a pre-designed workbook by which it is very easy to create a new workbook with in very short time. Templates are very easy and time saving to use because of customize format with formula.
How to create workbook from a template:
- Again to access Backstage view, Click the File tab
- Then select your chosen templates.
- You will get a template with all information.
- Finally click on Create for using selected template.
NOTE: For your specific purpose, you can browse templates by category.
Remember one important thing that all templates are created by Microsoft. Third-party providers and even individual users also create many templates.
Know about Compatibility mode:
Sometimes you may face with some problems of using between earlier version (Excel 2000 or Excel 2003) and older versions. When you open any earlier versions workbooks, then Compatibility mode will appear.
In Compatibility mode, there are certain features will be disables. For an example, if you open a workbook which is created in Excel 2000, you will get use only Excel 2000 versions commands only.
In the below image is in Compatibility mode where sparklines and slicers (Excel 2013 features) are disable.
Note: To avoid Compatibility mode, you have to convert the workbook to the current version and it is best way to remain worksheet in Compatibility mode which means it will remain unchanged.
How to convert a workbook:
To get all of the features of Excel 2013, you can convert it to the 2013 file format.
- Firstly, for going into Backstage view, Click on the File tab.
2.Now you need to select Convert command.
3.You will get Save As a dialog box and choose your desired location and write your file name and click on save.
4.Finally, you will get the converted file.